Ajutor:What are sub- and super properties?
- description:=e.g. has relative is a superproperty of has parent, while has father is a subproperty of has parent.
Properties can be sub-classed. Consider the following relations with their domains and ranges:
- <Person> is father of <Person>
- <Person> is parent of <Person>
It is very reasonable that is father of is a sub-property of is parent of. So, while annotating a text, you can use the is father of property. In a query, or in the reasoning system, another user could ask for parents and would automatically get all fathers.
Steps for setting up an example:
- Create the article Property:is parent of. Write some descriptive text and save it.
- Create the article Property:is father of. Write some descriptive text and add the annotation:
[[subproperty of::Property:is parent of]]
- Save the article.
- Reopen the article Property:is parent of. Now it should show its sub-relation is father of.
Sub-properties are also considered in the Special:Ontology Browser.